Sunday, October 31, 2010

World Peace Cookies

Watch Megan's 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies fall apart spectacularly.




Sorry! I really shouldn't be apologizing, because really I'm only wrecking the experience for myself. Between starting a new job and first time apartment hunting, I've had just zero time to worry about recipes and baking and writing. So this was the first thing to go. And I won't even try and say that in the future when things get crazy hectic that I'll try harder. Cause, if I'm being honest, this would be the first thing to go again. The worst part is, I anticipated this very thing and have multiple posts already typed with pictures in place ready to go! None of them are cookies, but even if I was skipping the 12 Weeks posts, I still could have been putting something out there! Lame, Megan. Lame.

Oh well, no more excuses, I completely skipped last week, but this week I'm armed with World Peace Cookies! I'd love to say something fun about how they filled me with peace through my apartment hunt but...since I just made them this morning, that's not true. Any peace I had definitely came from above, but these cookies are still FANTASTIC. I mentioned in the beginning that I'm not a huge cookie fan, but shortbread is my total downfall. I could eat a whole batch of shortbread without sharing. This ones are still sandy and buttery, but also rich and fantastic. Make some. Eat them. You won't regret it.




World Peace Cookies
From Dorie Greenspan

1 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
11 Tbsp butter, room temperature
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
generous 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

Mix together flour, cocoa and baking soda; set aside.

Cream butter until light and fluffy. Mix in both sugars, salt and vanilla until well blended. Dorie then has an interesting way of mixing in the flour. Add the whole flour mixture into the bowl, and cover your bowl and mixer with a towel. Slowly pulse your mixer four or five times to combine the majority of the flour (the towel keeps you from ending up with a kitchen covered in flour!). Take the towel off and finish mixing until the flour is just combined, and mix in the chocolate chips.

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide in half. Shape both parts into a log, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for two hours before baking. Dough can also be frozen, simply add an extra minute to the baking time.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. After dough has been refrigerated, cut logs into cookies and place on greased/lined cookie tray. Bake for 12 minutes (or 13 for frozen dough). Cookies will look doughy and not finished, but after cooling will be sandy and, mmm, so delish.

I only baked a quarter of the recipe, and then I ate three of the cookies before I even took pictures so I tried to fake it...


But my tray is depressingly empty...

4 comments:

  1. I made this cookie last year for 12 weeks. It was one of my favorites. Yours look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this cookie before, and everyone seems to love it! I'll have to give it a try! It look so chocolatey! I like your sneaky move to make the cookie sheet look full in the photo...Ha Ha! Been there, done that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many good things about this cookie. One of these days, I'll definitely have to make it and get a little piece of world peace in me.

    ReplyDelete