Friday, October 8, 2010

Lime Coconut Sandwich Cookies

Well, I made sandwich cookies again. No, it's not going to be my "thing" for the entire twleve weeks, I just wanted an excuse to try a new fruit curd recipe, and it fit perfectly with these cookies.



Again, I went through the whole not-stocked-on-kitchen-staples thing, only this time it sent me to four stores in the same day. I nearly gave up on my baking day yesterday, but eventually I got it all worked out. Until I went to make my lime curd and was out of limes. Thus when I say I adapted the recipe, what I really mean is, I ran out of limes, was too lazy to make a morning store run, and crossed them off the ingredients list.

Since moving, working in a kitchen that isn't what I'm used to, has been a strange experience. Ingredients that I grew up with constantly on hand, or fun tools I got used to, aren't standards in all kitchens. Weird, right? Most times I'll look over a recipe and think, ok, got all the ingredients, let's do this! Then I find out that not everyone buys gigantor bottles of cinnamon at Costco. Or, as with my cookies these last two weeks, since most of my kitchen tools are in box #9 in my old bedroom, I've had to make standard drop cookies by hand, and cut out cookies with the open end of a frosting tip. Not the end of the world, I was simply left with all sizes of sugar cookies, and 162 cut out cookies last week. But my things will be here in about one month, and Elton the Kitchen Aid and I will be reunited at last.

I've had these cookies on my radar for a while, because the words chewy, coconut, and lime were calling my name. They were worth the wait. I'm not a big sugar cookie person, but these have such a perfect texture and the coconut and lime add just the right amount of extra flavor. Yum...




Chewy Coconut Lime Sugar Cookies
From Rock Recipes

2 3/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
zest of one lime
3 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 cup unsweetened toasted coconut
1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in egg, vanilla, lime juice and zest. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients and coconut until combined.

Roll rounded teaspoons of dough in sugar, and place on lined/greased cookie sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden. Don't worry if they're puffed up when you first pull them out. As they cool they'll flatten nicely. Recipe makes about 60 cookies.


My nice stack of varying sized cookies.
I've always worked with a fruit curd recipe I received in a baking class. It was a huge recipe, and did taste great, but the addition of all the butter always made me squirm. I love citrus flavors, and I just wanted tart, crisp lemon flavor, not something muted with butter. (Side note: Sad that something so delicious was cursed with such a gross name. Curd...ugh, shudder....) So when I saw the color of the lemon curd on this website, I had to find the recipe. And, just as I expected, it was butter free-success! It. Was. AMAZING. It's definitely not for the citrus faint of heart. It's bold and fresh and...lime-y. I can't wait to make this with lemon and redo my lemon meringue cake-it'll totally kick it up a notch. Feel free to leave your cookies as they are, they're fantastic on their own.

Lime Curd
"Adapted" from Tartelette

1 cup lime juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg + 2 yolks

In a saucepan, stir together lime juice and sugar. Bring to a slow simmer over medium heat. In a seperate bowl, mix the egg and yolk together to combine. Slowly beat some of the lime juice mixture into the eggs. Pour egg mixture back into the pan, and stirring constantly, cook until the mixture thickens-about 5 minutes. Let cool before filling your cookies!


On a final note-these got a "really good" rating from my uncle whom I consider a food consumer, rather than a food enjoyer. Yup, they're that tasty!

15 comments:

  1. I've also seen these cookies on many blogs, but no one has ever thought to make them into a sandwich cookie. Excellent idea and a great way to add in even more lime flavor (which I can't resist).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo! I love the idea of these! They sound delicious! I have a recipe for lime in the coconut bars, but I think the combo is awesome in any form!! I LOVE your pictures too btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh can I get that recipe? Sounds delish! I also came across a five ingredient recipe the other day and thought of you. Still gotta try the four ingredient one you sent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no doubt these are delicious on their own, but sandwiched with some citrus curd must be really superb.
    I have this lime-coconut cookie recipe, that I really liked (http://dajana-bakerscorner.blogspot.com/2010/01/1-2-3-someone-stop-me.html)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound great - coconut and lime together? Makes my mouth water! I love the stacked cookie picture - looks like mine every time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooohhh yummy!!! My kids echo my sentiments. This is a must try at our house recipe! Thanks for sharing.

    blessings~
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great flavor combination! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I've seen coconut lime cookies, but haven't seen them as sandwich cookies before. Like!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love citrus flavors too. I also love sugar cookies. These sound so delicious and your pictures make them look tempting. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love citrus cookies of any kind. And I love the simple clean flavors of this cookie. They look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love citrus curds. This sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love citrus of all kinds and i love coconut ... will have to try this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lime and coconut? There's no a better combination. They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so i decided to make these as a valentine's gift to my boyfriend who loves coconut but (thanksfully for me) thinks its soooo difficult to find coconut AND lime in one sweet spot. Made them tonight and WOW. Cookies are gorg. I used a coarse sugar crystal so they have a little sparkle to them. They flattened out nicely, just like you said they would :) I was super, super nervous about the curd, especially when after five minutes it wasn't as "thick" as I had pictured in my head. Shoved it in the fridge while the rest of the cookies baked & cooled, pulled the curd out and WAH-LA! Smashed two cookies around 1tsp of curd, a pinch of shredded coconut and let 'em set. Near the end of smashing i was feeling adventurous and melted some chocolate. My initial plan was to do a "tuxedo style" cookie but being lazy, i used the microwave to melt the chocolate and was not happy with the consistency (too thick) so i smushed a little between the cookies, with the curd and crushed coconut and double WOW. They look uhhhmazing! Thank you so much for this great idea & recipe(s)!

    ReplyDelete