Sunday, September 26, 2010

Pumpkin Spice Scones

Have I mentioned that I LOVE fall? I'm mean, they're seriously the best flavors in the world to bake with. The colors are fantastic, the smells are delicious. Seriously, what's not to love? And though I "start" fall on September 21st, was the Autumn Equinox-the official start of fall.

So what better way to celebrate than with scones?!!




These pumpkin scones are cakey and fantastic, plus they're finished off with double glaze.

Glazed Pumpkin Scones
Taken from We Heart Food

2 cups flour
7 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
6 Tbsp butter, cold, cut into squares
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
3 Tbsp half and half (I used 2 Tbsp heavy cream and 1 Tbsp milk)
1 egg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Either by hand, or with a pastry cutter, cut in your pieces of butter into the flour. In a seperate small bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, half and half, and the egg. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over mix or you'll end up with tough scones. On a floured surface, pat your dough into a circle and cut into 8 pieces. Or you can pat it in a square and cut it into pieces. For simplicity's sake, I patted mine into a 9 x 9 pan and cut it into squares.

Bake your scones for 16-20 minutes (depending on how you shaped them), or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Allow them to cool before making and covering them with the plain glaze, and drizzling with the spiced glaze. Simply mix the glaze ingredients together to create.

Plain Glaze
1 cup+1 Tbsp powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk

Spiced Glaze
1 cup+3 Tbsp powdered sugar
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
a pinch of cloves
a pinch of ginger


I'm also super excited to be participating in the 12 Weeks of Christmas Cookies event, starting this Friday. For the next 12 Fridays, I'll be showcasing a different cookie recipe for that week. I'm excited, because I'm not much of a cookie maker as of right now, so I'm ready to try new recipes, flavor combinations, and of course, brand new delicious creations!

3 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin scones! These look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm. Pumpkin treats are the best part about fall and your scones look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin flavored foods. Your scones look fantastic. You photograph your food in such a way that makes it appear so tempting.

    ReplyDelete