Monday, September 13, 2010

Cupcake Inspiration

I love cupcakes. Like a lot. I'm in love with cupcakes, if you will. I don't necessarily eat them, I'm not much of a cake/frosting person myself, but I love making them. You can be endlessly creative in your combinations and presentation. Plus, they're just mini, portable, and super cute! Can't beat a combo like that!

For me, there are certain desserts that I love making because you can change flavors and come up with something different everytime. So sometimes I'll see some flavor grouping and start thinking of them in terms of putting them together in a different way. Which is how these cupcakes came about.

As I said before, I love fall. And fall flavors are some of my favorites to back with. Lots of apples, lots of spices, pumpking, sweet potatoes, caramel... Yuummmm. So these cupcakes were inspired by simple caramel apples. I wanted to transfer those flavors into a cupcakes, and I'm really happy with the way they turned out!

This recipe also marks something new for me. I used box mix. I'm almost ashamed to admit it. Almost... But because I took the time to hand make caramel cream, apple cinnamon filling, buttercream, and apple chips, I'm not too worried about it. This simply helped me get the base done quickly and easily, which is something we all love. So I admit it, I didn't completely hand make these.





Caramel Apple Cupcakes

Spice Cupcakes
From Kraft
-1 box spice cake mix (don't be ashamed!!)
-3 eggs, room temperature
-1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
-1 1/3 cups applesauce-any kind will work, I used cinnamon to go with the spice theme

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Easy peasy. Mix all ingredients, pour into cupcake liners, and bake for 15-18 minutes, being sure to turn the cupcakes half way through, and make sure a toothpick comes out clean when they're done.

See, don't you just LOVE the simplicity of that? I know I do. Box mix recipes definitely won't replace my from-scratch cupcakes from now on, but from time to time, I'll definitely give them a shot.

Apple Cinnamon Three Milks Filling
From Never Bashful with Butter (The most fantastic blog. She really got me interested in more developed baking, and food blogs, as well. Unfortunately she's shut down her site, but since I knew it was coming, before she got rid of everything I managed to save 91 pages worth of recipes from her site! I know, I'm ridiculous. But I'm so glad I did. I refer to things she's done all the time.)

-1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
-scant 1/4 cup evaporated milk
-scant 1/4 cup heavy cream
-2 medium granny smith apples
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1 Tbsp butter
-2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
-1/4 tsp cinnamon
-1/8 tsp allspice

In a small bowl, mix together condensed milk, evaporated milk, and cream, and set aside.

Peel, core, and chop the apples into small pieces. Remember that they're going into the middle of the cupcakes, and try to keep them around the size of your pinky fingernail. Toss them in the lemon juice. Melt the butter over medium heat in a saucepan or frying pan. When the butter begins to brown, add the apples. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. If the apples begin to brown before they're soft, turn the heat down a little. Once the apples begin to soften, add the brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice. Slowly add the milk/cream mixture, lower the heat, and cook until the apples are soft and most of the milk has been absorbed.


Caramel Buttercream
From Annie's Eats

-2 sticks butter, room temperature
-3 egg whites, room temperature
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/2 cup caramel sauce

Cut butter into 1 inch pieces, set aside. In a medium bowl, mix sugar and egg whites. Place over a pan of boiling water, stirring constantly (you don't want scrambled eggs, after all!). Heat until egg whites reach 160 degrees on a thermometer. If you don't have a thermometer, simply cook the egg whites until they're warmer than body temperature and the sugar has dissolved-when you rub some between your fingers, you don't feel sugar crystals.

Using a hand or stand mixer, whip the egg whites until they reach stiff peaks. Slowly begin adding butter pieces while still mixing. Don't be afraid if your buttercream begins to look like a hot mess at this point. After adding all the butter, and a few extra minutes of mixing, it'll come together. Trust me! Add the caramel sauce, and mix until combined. Voila-delicious buttercream!




There are just some things I can't wait to get up here in Washington. My cupcake courier, my favorite piping tip, and my stand mixer (be still my heart), are the absolute top of my list. And once I get those again, it'll be no holds barred cupcake time. Not sure where they'll go, though...

1 comment:

  1. Those read delicious! I love buttercream! And use boxed cake mix all the time-- pumpkin spice cookies! It's easier when time is limited. You my friend are going to be famous! I will be putting my business cards in your little win a free cupcake lunch jar.

    ReplyDelete