Friday, November 5, 2010

Who needs Girl Scouts?

Finally, I'm on top of things this week!!


Tonight is the monthly women's group get together at my church and we're all bringing food and recipes. So I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and bring cookies! So I sorta fudged my own rule of only making cookies I've never made before. I hate bringing things to a potluck if I've never made them before because I'm pretty critical of my baking. So, while I've never made these in cookie form before, I have made them as bar cookies before. Medium cheat, but what are ya gunna do?




I made Samoas! These are my absolute favorite Girl Scout cookies. They turn out chewier than the originals, but equally delicious.

Samoas Girl Scout CookiesFrom Baking Bites

Cookies
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Cream together butter and sugar. Slowly mix in flour, baking powder and salt. Add vanilla and slowly add milk until the dough comes together-you may not need all the milk. Roll your dough out to 1/4 inch on a floured surface, and you may need to add flour to keep dough from sticking. Cut into desired shape and place on lined/greased cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cookies are slightly browned.

*On a side note-as legit as the cookies look with the center cut out, it's a total hassle when adding the topping, so if you don't mind the difference, just go with a circle!


Topping
3 cups shredded coconut
12 oz. chewy caramels
1/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp milk
8 oz semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Spread shredded coconut on a cookie tray. Toast for 10-12 minutes, strirring every three minutes. Let cool.
Unwrap caramels and place in a microwaveable bowl. Add milk and salt; microwave for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fold in coconut. Spread topping onto cooled cookies.
After all your cookies are topped, melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring frequently to prevent it from burning. Dip the bottom of the cookies into the chocolate. Place the remaining chocolate in a plastic bag, snip off a corner, and drizzle across tops of cookies. Eat one. Or two. Or 12.


7 comments:

  1. Way to go in making your own Samoas. They look even better than the originals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say...these look way better than the G.S. version! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm! I've made these before with the cutout and everything and I totally agree. I swore that next time I was going to mar them as a cookie bar instead but they look soo pretty this way! Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samoa's always make me laugh, coconut and caramel YUM!! but where I am from (New Zealand) a Samoan is a person from Samoa. Confusion would ensue if I told them I made a batch of Samoas. I am going to have to make some though, but I might think of another name. hehe. They look delicious though! and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's true, we call them Samoans here too, but I've never encountered any confusion calling the cookies Samoas...yet. They're also known as Caramel DeLites if that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! They look A-MAZING!!!! Best Girl Scout cookies EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always impressed at how professional your baked goods look. I know you are your worst critic. I think you may be your only critic. Everything looks so appealing to the eye and to the tummy. You have some pretty good talent at photographing your food too. Makes me proud to be your mommy.

    ReplyDelete