Friday, August 6, 2010

Getting crafty again!

I've been recently lamenting my inability to do anything crafty, having left all my supplies boxed up in Phoenix. So I started scouring the internet for anything I could do quickly, easily, and with few supplies just to get my creative juices flowing. So...I made tutu's!!


They're so easy, and incredibly adorable in the end. I'm super happy with them! They're so precious, and you can make your own, on the cheap, and with very little time, in a few easy steps.


So, step 1. Get your supplies ready! For these tutus you'll need:
          1. Two rolls of tulle, any color
          2. 1 in. elastic
          3. Scissors
          4. Tape measure
          5. Sewing machine, or good ol' fashioned needle and thread


Step 2. Cut your elastic two inches smaller than the waist measurement, and sew the ends together. Let it be noted-you can leave it unsewed while you tie the tulle on, but if you sew it first, you can tie them, and move them around without having to worry about them falling off.

Step 3. Cut the tulle into 20 inch strips. You'll likely use 2/3 of the roll of more, so you can cut it all if you don't mind having extras.


Step 4. When using two colors of tulle, you pattern it in a color 1-2-1, 2-1-2, repeat, pattern. So for instance, in my first tutu, I laid out white, black, white and folded them in half lengthwise, or hot dog style. ;)


Fold it in half again widthwise, bringing the two ends together, and making a loop at the top. Next place the folded tulle behind the elastic, and bring the two loose ends through the loop, securing it to the waistband.



Then I repeated with white-black-white, and so on, until the tutu was completed. It's literally as simple as that. The key is to remember which was you wrap the tulle the first time, and tie them all the same from there on out!


The colors and embellishment opportunities are endless! Also, make sure you flip it over and seperate the layers of tulle to make it fluffy and fabulous-it gives them more of an ethereal fairy look.


After I finished my first tutu, and moved on the the next, I decided to scrap the black and white tutu completely (which explains all the different pictures!) and added tons of hot pink. I love it! If I had the little girls these were made for nearby, I'd have made them my models, but instead I had to make due with a giant Christmas dog. He was very obliging.


1 comment: